Book Review - Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski

Title - Swimming in the Dark

Author - Tomasz Jedrowski

Genre - Coming of Age , LGBT

I had first come across this book when I was checking out a certain article on Goodreads and it was recommended one of the books to be read this year. A book that calls itself 'Call Me by Your Name' set in communist Poland attracted my attention instantly and when I got the opportunity to pick up the same, I did not hesitate and here is my take on it.

Swimming in the Dark is the story of Ludwick Glowacki who is on his way to an agricultural camp before he is to graduate university. He comes across Janusz and after a few initial hesitating moments, they hit off with one another. Yet life ain't beds and roses for them when they return back to the city of Warsaw and have to deal with the politics and the dilemma on what is future going to hold for them.

You can't make people love the way you want them to.

Having seen the various places in Poland and literally experienced them for 5 months, I could relate to a lot of things that the book talks about. Though a lot has changed by now, you could still feel the air of the things that has occurred there when you listen to stories of people. The book is pretty much raw and does not shy away from talking what is what. The writing is crisp and for someone who debuts with this novel, I'm sure he has a much better future for sure.

If I would like to recommend this book, I would say pick it up and do not hesitate to bawl your eyes out when the tears starts forming around your eyes. The author has done a brilliant job and I just can't wait to read more of his work. The only point that I wasn't happy was about the better use of Polish language at times which could have brought the feels out and the abrupt end which made us wanting for more.

My Ratings - 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫 (4.5 out of 5)

Book in Few Words - Heart Touching and Full of Angst

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts: The Spoken Word

Series Review : Orisha Series by Tomi Adeyemi

Book Review : The Dutch House by Ann Patchett